Thursday 7 May 2015

University: A Transformation

*Peeks out from behind pillow/duvet/other method of defence* 

Before we get started, I have been away for FAR too long and I am SO sorry! My New Year's resolution to be more organised has been successful in some parts but not so much in others, and my university assignments had to take priority. 

But now all my assessments are out the way and I'm freeeeeeeeeeee! So, without further ado, I feel like I can now talk about the difference in me that university has made.

Before I go any further, I am well aware that university is not for everyone and I am in no way telling you that this is your only choice. It's highly likely that some of the changes I've noticed in me would have happened regardless of whether I'd attended uni or not, and instead are down to becoming an adult and being able to see things differently. 

Okay, now that's clear, here are a few things I've noticed within myself that have changed:

1) I think the biggest change in me is that I'm a lot more confident. Perhaps that is because of the amazing group of friends that I have around me who will support me no matter what (and I would do the same for them)!

2) This is kind of similar to the last point but in a way it's also different. I've become so much more independent since I've moved away from home, not only because I've had to learn how to live by myself, which makes you REALLY appreciate all that your parents did for you while you were living under their roof (and annoying the living daylights out of them at times - sorry Mum and Dad!), but also because I live in London, which is a huuuuuge city and so finding out how to get somewhere takes time and practice (I can now name a few Underground lines just by the station, go me! Buses, on the other hand, are a work in progress...). Even walking around becomes a skill - I now can't get rid of my 'London pace', so whenever I go home to Sheppey, where everything is much smaller, I end up nearly halving my journey because I can't help but walk so fast! And of course there's the personal safety factor - traffic in London is ridiculously heavy all the time so you always have to have your wits about you and be careful when crossing roads etc. Aside from that, it's crucial to be careful when walking around places late at night, or in dodgy areas (or both, but stick to safer, well-lit areas if you can) and even in daylight remember to look out for yourself and your friends to avoid putting yourself in danger. 

Okay, parental lecture over...

3) I just feel happier in general. Again, that's largely due to my super-duper friends, but I feel more self-assured and a lot more positive about life than I did this time last year. I have a more 'can-do' attitude and although I have down days (let's face it, who doesn't?), for the most part I have a lot to smile about! 

That's pretty much all I have to say right now, so I'll wrap this up. I just thought I'd share these ponderings and see what you guys think! 


Lots of love,

Fliss xx

No comments:

Post a Comment