Tuesday 1 September 2015

Everything Happens for a Reason




Hello lovelies! 

I've got a bit of a philosophical post for you today. I was never really one of those people who believed in fate or destiny but lately I've started to think that there might be something to it. I was on the Tube today (I know, an odd place for such an epiphany) when I started thinking about this concept of things happening for a reason and was inspired to write this post. 

My first choice of university was Southampton, because I loved the atmosphere of the city, and the fact that it was on the coast also made me feel somewhat at home. And of course, the actual English Literature course appealed to me and I thought I would enjoy my time there. However, when I opened my A-Level results and discovered that I hadn't done quite as well as I thought I had, I contacted Southampton to try and see if they would still accept me. When I realised I wasn't going to be attending, I was understandably upset. 

But, as they say, every cloud has a silver lining. My insurance choice was the University of Westminster as their entry requirements were slightly lower and the course also appealed to me. So, once the wheels had been set in motion, I started preparing myself for the next three years of my life (and maybe more) that were to be spent in the Big Smoke. And this is where things changed. 

Five years ago, I never would have pictured myself living in London. And yet here I am, about to embark on my second year at uni and go on even more adventures. I've lived in the city for almost a whole year and I'm so glad I chose to move away from home (although I do still like going back to my parents and being looked after once in a while) to become a fully-fledged adult individual. Part of me thinks I may never have enjoyed Southampton, but of course there's no way of knowing for certain. On the other hand, I wouldn't swap my time in London for anything. 

Attending Westminster means that I have met some amazing people who I know will be friends for life and I am incredibly lucky to have met them. If I didn't come here I wouldn't have met my lovely boyfriend (in October we will have been together a year... that's crazy!) or any of his equally lovely friends and family. I wouldn't have been able to have the opportunities and experiences that London has offered me and will continue to offer me over the next few years. 

I've started to think that things have worked out this way on purpose. I was meant to meet people who will make me laugh until I snort/cry (whichever comes first), people who will challenge me and encourage me to be the best version of myself that I can possibly be. I was meant to meet people who create opportunities that will develop my skills in areas such as leadership, communication and teamwork. And most of all, I was meant to be thrown into a city that can literally make my dreams come true. 

Okay, now that I've finished writing and read back through this post I realise this sounds incredibly corny, cheesy, whatever you want to call it. But I genuinely think that I'm meant to be on this path in my life. 

What are your thoughts on this? Let me know in the comments! 

Love, 

Fliss xx

2 comments:

  1. This is a really great post Fliss! I remember our middle school days haha! Keep it up xx

    Jessica
    http://theworldisfullofbeautyxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete